Sunday, February 19, 2012

I Am A Sham, and I Know It

I have come to the realization that I did not need an English degree.  I could have majored in something else entirely and still be a competent writer and reader.  I could have furthered my knowledge of languages (I really have to finish learning Spanish or Sign Language), or learned how to do something important like math or science or something.  I could have majored in art and spent my days tossing paint on canvas and drawing pictures of flowers.  Majored in business and secured my future for the rest of my life.

But if I want to spend my days reading and writing, English was the way to go.

So I basically spent about $80,000 to become "qualified" to do something I already knew how to do.

Not only that, but it's something that a lot of people do, and some of them are better than me at it. I've read a lot of blogs lately, and there are people out there who do interesting things with their lives like science, or music composition, who write just as well as I do.

I feel like I should have a god-like knowledge of grammar for such a heinous price tag....but grammar still confuses and terrifies me on a regular basis.  Participles, what even is?   Or maybe I should have a wealth of knowledge about the literary greats?  All I can tell you is that Moby Dick is a terrible read, and Mark Twain is my literary hero. That literature has always been about expression, capturing emotions and feelings of the writers about some subject that was important to them.

But I'm no wealth of knowledge.  I'm no god of grammar.  I'm just the same reader/writer I've always been, but with more books under my belt.

I am such a sham, with my flashy degree.  I hope you love me anyway.

4 comments:

  1. I do love you, anyway. You are amazing at what you do. One day, you'll be happy you have that degree. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baaaaaw. Amazing? Me? Shucks. I love you too, my aspiring photographer friend. How about we take the world by storm? Sound good?

      Delete
  2. I think you are being too hard on yourself! Though I do feel the same way some days. I have an English Rhetoric degree. My grammar is less than par and I don't recall much about Aristotle or Socrates. I originally went for a Biology degree then changed to Animal Ecology. I wanted to save the world, but I sucked at memorization and loved writing so I switched my major. Out of college, I realized I could do anything with my degree. It wasn't a clear path like my husband who majored in Construction Engineering. I could do anything from teach child care to be a secretary, and therefore had no idea what path to take. I got lucky and worked for a woman who saw the talents I had and let me explore them. Not sure what my point is beyond that... just wanted to share and say I doubt you are a sham!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hey! My boat has some company. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

      I hope that I can find someone who will let me explore my talents--I'm working a secretary job right now just to pay the bills. I am glad I'm not alone in this muddled mess of an open-ended degree, and I'm actually pretty excited to see what the future will bring.

      Delete