Sunday, February 19, 2012

Of Travel, Life, and Home

I've never really been able to decide what I'm going to do with my life.

I know there are some things that I'm going to do.  I'm going to keep reading for the rest of my life. If I go blind, I'm going to learn braille just so I can keep reading.  If I lose my hands after I go blind, I'll learn to read with my feet.  Reading is a thing that I will always do.

I hope to travel for a good bit of the rest of my life.  I live for travel, for seeing new places and experiencing new things.  Every time I go someplace new, my spirit itself is renewed, and I feel like I've grown more as a person.  Travel changes me, defines me, makes me who I am and who I will be. I love living in new places and experiencing new cultures.  I lived out in New Mexico for two and a half months.  The desert was different than anything I had ever experienced.  That difference is why I value those two and a half months more than almost any other time in my life.

I can't imagine life without travel.

But I also have a loyalty to home, to my state, to my family.  So when I'm asked where I eventually want to live, I come to a stalemate between wanting to be a traveling vagrant and wanting to firmly plant my butt in the Southern soil it was raised in.

I thought that by now I'd have my life figured out.  I'll be 23 this August.  I decided my freshman year of college that I'd have everything figured out by now.

The one thing I have figured out is that you can't plan the future.  That I don't have my life planned out, and that I have to be okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment